Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cartel.ie Rally of the Lakes review

Denis Cronin has won the Cartel.ie Killarney Rally of the Lakes. Aaron MacHale mounted a charge but had to be content with second place. Craig Breen overhauled Alastair Fisher for third. Paul Bird finished fifth, Brian O'Mahony sixth, Colm Murphy seventh & Robert Barrable eighth.

Tim McNulty was on course for his second consecutive victory by a clear margin until the gearbox gave up on SS12. Gareth MacHale went out on SS2 with engine failure, Darragh O'Riordan crashed out on Gortnagane stage & Denis Cronin's new engine wasn't pulling as well as the old unit so there was not to be too much opposition on Day 2.

Denis said at the end of the rally: "I’m thrilled. When I started rallying in 1981, my ambition was to win the Rally of the Lakes. I didn’t think it would ever happen, and to win at this stage of my life is fantastic. I got a bit downhearted yesterday, but it went well today."

Cronin's navigator Helen O’Sullivan said, "This is a dream come true. I can hardly believe it."

Aaron MacHale said "It was nip and tuck with Alaistar, but I tried as hard as I could this afternoon."

Craig Breen said at the end of the rally "I was happier with the pace today, and a fastest time on Caragh Lake, seemed like I was back on form. It has taken a while."

Breen won the Group N class in his S2000 Fiesta, Alastair Fisher came second after damaging his suspension on the final stage & then collected a puncture & Colm Murphy rounded out the Group N podium after surviving a bust brake pipe.

Barry Meade won the National catagory after Phil Collins lost an argument with the scenery on SS12 & retired.

Robert Barrable won the Cirtoen Racing Trophy (& €5000) & Marty McCormack finished second after getting away with hitting a gatepost on the final stage.

Todd Falvey won the Historic catagory in his Porsche 911, Ray Cunningham second in his Mini & Niall O'Connell third.

Kevin O'Connor has won the Junior catagory in his Citroen C2 R2.

No comments:

Post a Comment