Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Failed sponsor deal forces Solberg to use own money


PSWRT team owner and driver Petter Solberg has said that he used some of his own money to drive on Wales Rally GB, where he finished second.

Solberg’s sponsorship agreement with an un-named firm fell through just before the event, so he was forced to either use his own money or not enter the event.

Solberg’s private PSWRT campaign for 2011 still hangs in the balance. Finishing third in the Drivers table, with six second places to his name, is a major plus for prospective sponsors.

“I paid for the last one and a half rallies myself from my own pocket so it’s not easy. Things just happen when you get a factory seat but when you are a privateer it isn’t easy. Now I have done all the work myself with my team and I’m just knackered.”

However, even with third in the series to his name, he says running your own team from the driver’s seat is very difficult. Even with an almost works spec car, he says his team is almost at its limit.

“Honestly, we can’t do better than this. The team has worked flat-out all year and if people think it’s easy to just get a proper car and go fast then let me say, it’s not easy. There is so much work behind the scenes that goes on and everybody is very pleased to get podiums in the world championship. Second or third, it doesn’t matter, as long as you are on the podium that is the main thing.

“Personally speaking, I haven’t seen my wife and son that much for two years because I’ve been flying all the time and in meetings with sponsors and testing, and then each rally. So it’s maybe lucky I am still married! Okay, we have the same passion luckily.”

However, he says that he is happy with he and his team’s performance this year.

“I’m very happy because it’s been hard work and a long way back to the top. We have been fast on every rally but as a privateer it’s difficult I can tell you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment