Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

WTCC ace tests MINI

Andy Priaulx has completed a test in the new MINI Countryman WRC at Prodrive’s test stage.

Priaulx, a treble World Touring Car champion, was contacted by Prodrive boss Dave Richards, and asked to take part in the test. The 37-year old has always been keen on rallying so jumped at the chance to try the car.

“I had a bit of fun. It was great as Kris Meeke was there so he was able to show me the ropes, and then he was brave enough to sit beside me while I drove the car. It really is a lovely little car, and I am sure the programme will be successful. This was an amazing opportunity and I can’t thank David Richards enough for giving me such a great chance.”

Priaulx, who is more used to driving a BMW 320si Touring Car in the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC), is not used to rally cars on gravel, but has previous experience or them. He has driven a Fiat Grande Punto Abarth S2000 and a Ford Focus WRC at the Race of Champions. He won the RoC Legends event in 2009.

However, he has warned people that he will not be following Kimi Raikkonen and switching from closed-circuit racing to rallying. He has recently announced that he will embark on a full time endurance racing career next year after BMW announced that they would withdraw from the WTCC from next year.

“However, before anyone starts getting excited about me swapping from racing to rallying, I need to point out it is a one off and I can’t visualise myself taking on the rally boys at this stage in my career!”

He does have prior experience of part of the new MINI, however. The engine in Priaulx’ BMW is the same 1.6 turbo unit used in the MINI.

No comments:

Post a Comment