Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Al-Attiyah out to defend Dakar title

Nasser Al-Attiyah has said he is out to find a drive which will enable him to compete on, and possibly win, the 2012 Dakar to follow up his success on the 2011 edition of the mammoth event.

The Qatari driver took the win on this year's Dakar Rally driving a works VW Toureag. However, with VW calling a halt to their hugely successful Dakar programme to focus their efforts on their WRC campaign, Al-Attiyah is out of a drive. Al-Attiyah is not completely out of Volkswagen, with the Qatari scheduled to test VW's rally car as early as December, and he has been linked with a drive in the team.

Al-Attiyah is not keen to jump at the first Dakar drive he is offered, however. He has said he wants to wait until he finds out that VW intend to do, after which he will make his decision.

“There are a lot of options to do Dakar again with another team but for me I must know exactly what I will have for the next three or four years [with Volkswagen]. Dakar is my dream because I won this year and I want to defend my title. I need to know [Volkswagen’s] decision.” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment