Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Loeb not happy with endurance rallies

Sebastien Loeb has hinted that he might take up early retirement if FIA President Jean Todt gets his wish for more endurance-style rallies in the WRC.


Recently, WRC Manager Michele Mouton has re-affirmed the FIA's commitment to the WRC, and both Mouton and FIA President Jean Todt have expressed wishes that World Rallies go back to their endurance routes, just as rallies did in the 70's and 80's.

Loeb himself has said he has been finding recce's getting boring, and longer events would only make serve to make this work. He explained how his travel itinerary has changed, meaning he must fly out a day or two earlier.

"I have been doing this a long time. And I have to admit that I find the recce and things like this a little bit boring now. What is the thing that makes me maybe want to retire in the future is the travel, which is very long. I don't want to say this will make me decide now, but there is less motivation for the longer rallies.

"Now we are starting to do the recce on the Monday instead of the Tuesday, which means I have to fly to the rally on the Sunday and then I'm not back for a day longer." he added.



Loeb himself has a plan of his own of how a rally week could work, saying that: "I'm more of a fan of starting the recce on Wednesday morning and finishing it on Thursday," he said. "Then rally on Friday and Saturday - have the party on Saturday night and then go home on Sunday."

This way would prove more cost effective for teams, and could make for more competition for drivers as there is less time to fight back from a mistake. However, even though Rally Finland has run to this format for a couple of years now, it may not catch on due to Mouton and Todt wanting longer rallies.

Loeb did say, however, that he may be able to be swayed if it benefits the WRC, but he is still sceptical about endurance rallies being the key to a WRC revival.

The eight-times World Champion said: "If you tell me that this is good for the media and that you are getting something out of these longer rallies then OK, I understand. I am a driver and will drive when and where I am told. But this is no more of a challenge for me, it's just more stages which are really the same."

As ever, however, there is another side to the coin. Loeb's Citroen team-mate has gone against the flow (and the vast majority of other drivers), saying he would be in favour of them. He said he is aware of the increased costs, something he said must be watched, but the former Ford and Subaru factory driver said he likes the idea of driving night and day.

“I know the arguments about these rallies being more expensive and everything and we absolutely have to be careful of that, but at the same time I have always enjoyed the challenge of driving longer rallies. I like the idea of going through the night and really driving in the endurance style; I would like to have competed more in the past, when there were the really long Safari-style events.” he said.

Mads Ostberg is another driver not happy with the way the FIA want the sport to go. Ostberg is perennially looking for funding, and is sure that without the endurance rallies that come with this season, he could have been able to take part in a full championship.

“If the FIA continues to push these long rallies then they are going to hurt the sport. If it wasn’t for longer rallies like Mexico, then I’m sure I would have managed to compete in the whole season. The longer rallies are totally not the right idea.” said the Adapta World Rally Team driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment