Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Meeke in Citroen's sights?


Kris Meeke is one of the drivers being head hunted by Citroen team leader Yves Matton to drive Khalid Al-Qassimi's Citroen DS3 WRC on this year's Rally Finland.

With Al-Qassimi not being able to compete on the rally due to a date clash with a rally in the Middle East Rally Championship, Matton recently announced his intent to put Meeke in the car for the Finnish event. However he faces faces stiff competition for the seat from Aussie star Chris Atkinson, who recently drove the car on Rally Mexico and has already competed in Finland in a DS3 WRC.

Matton said: "I have known Kris for a long time. And the reason he is on the list is because of his experience from four-wheel drive cars and the speed I know he has. And because he is working with us testing some cars."

Meeke has been under the PSA wing for close to a decade now, nearly winning the J-WRC crown in a Citroen C2 S1600, and winning the Intercontinental Rally Challenge title in 2009 at his first attempt, driving a Peugeot 207 S2000. He recently tested a DS3 WRC in Italy, and is excited at the prospect of driving one of the French firm's WRC cars.

“Yves knows I would go to the end of the earth to get into his car in Finland. After I tested it a few months ago, I sent him a text telling him I'd sell my granny to get a rally in that car. I would absolutely relish the chance to get in that car in Finland. I know the DS3 is a simply awesome car.” said the Dungannon ace.

Meeke isn't the only man Matton would like to see back driving one of his cars. He recently conceded that he would ask their legendary driver Sebastian Loeb to return for an extra rally on top of his four event programme.

Originally intended to only compete in Monte Carlo, Sweden, Argentina and France, VW's unexpected winning streak and overall performance could see the nine-times World Champion back in the driving seat of a DS3 WRC for one more rally.

However, it might not be that easy. Loeb has already begun a Sportscar/GT campaign under his own team name. He originally hadn't intended to do any rallies this year, but given the chance to once again prove he is the master of any rally, anywhere and at any time, and against his arch-rival Sebastian Ogier, could could yet be back.

"I think you know it's not my decision. I think he doesn't want to, maybe. It's not on my mind for the moment. I have to be happy with what I have already this season; I have my four rallies with him - at the start he was doing nothing this year. At the end of the season, if I ask him to do one [extra] rally and with this rally we will be champion, then for sure I will ask.” Matton said.


No comments:

Post a Comment