Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Is Meeke still in with a chance?

Kris Meeke's dreams of a full time drive in the WRC might not have come crashing down to earth just yet.

Having replaced Dani Sordo on the event, he was expected by team boss Yves Matton to get a solid finish under his belt, to aid Citroen's fight with VW in the Manufacturer's Championship. Under huge pressure having never competed in Australia and being nominated points scorer for the Works team, he initially won the Qualifying Stage in spectacular fashion and held fourth place up until SS13, poised to hunt down Theirry Neuville on the final day of the event.
Meeke in action in Australia
However, it all ended with a slow roll down a hill into a field halfway through the thirteenth test. This left Meeke despondent, and team principal Matton absolutely fuming.

"At service this afternoon I told Kris to keep the pace, to stay not too far from Thierry [Neuville] and we would see tomorrow whether we try to catch him or not," said Matton. "For sure, I am not happy. He did not do what I asked him. This is just the opposite what I ask him.”

It appeared that Meeke has lost his long awaited chance to shine at World level, two crashes in two successive appearances for Citroen certainly didn't help his cause. But, it would seem that Meeke hasn't blown it completely.

Matton hasn't ruled Meeke out of a hugely popular appearance on Wales Rally GB in one of the team's DS3 WRC's. It was seemingly a pre-arranged agreement, finish Australia and start in Wales. But with the crash complicating matters, the Frenchman refuses to act on his first thoughts, which would most likely be to disregard the possibility of Meeke driving in Wales altogether.

"I told him clearly what I wanted him to do. I told him if he was at the finish here, he would be on the start in GB," said Matton. "Now, I don't know. I have to think about it. It's sure that if I take a decision too close to what happened, then the outcome will not be positive for him - and, of course, what happened when he went off again on the final day of the rally has not helped either.”

"I will not say he won't start in GB, I don't know." he added.

Meeke himself knows his chances are slim, but there is still a glimmer of hope for the 2009 IRC Champion. But he remains philosophical, stating he will respect whatever decision Matton and Citron come to. One massive advantage he has is his ability to jump into the car and be almost on the pace, which could just tip the balance in his favour in Wales.

"I'm massively grateful for the opportunity Yves, Khalid and everybody at Citroen has given me and if that's it, then, that's it. I realise I have made mistakes, but I feel I have also shown I have the speed to fight at the front and there aren't many who can do that now." he said.

"It's incredible to drive one of these cars at any time, but the chance to drive one at home with the home support would be unbelievable." he added.

Photo credit: Citroen WRT

No comments:

Post a Comment