Please note

For best results, view in 'Google Chrome'.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Phil Mills retires from WRC

2003 World Champion co-driver Phil Mills has made the decision to retire from the sport.

The 47-year old Welshman has navigated for drivers such as Armin Schwarz, Mark Higgins & more notably Petter Solberg. Mills also partnered Irish rally legend Stephen Finlay during the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship.

The Solberg-Mills partnership lasted almost 11 years, 152 WRC events, 13 wins & 39 podium finishes. In 2003, in only their fourth full season, Solberg & Mills claimed the 2003 World Championship, edgeing out Sebastian Loeb in a final round fight.

This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, but I feel the time has come to concentrate on other parts of my life. We have competed on 152 events over the past 11 years and it has become more of a way of life than a job. I have enjoyed every single kilometre through the highs and lows that came along and I am sure Petter will win many more events in the future, given the right circumstances. I will miss the whole WRC scene very much and wish Petter and the team very great success in the future.” said Mills

Solberg said: Phil is leaving the team and I feel really sad about that. I think it will be really difficult to find a co-driver with his skills to join me in my car again. We have been together for so many years, I’ve had him by my side for most of my career, so this is a tough break for me. Looking back on what we have achieved together, I feel especially sorry as I was sure out next win would happen this season and I was hoping to have Phil by my side when it happens. He has been the one who has meant the most for me through my driving career. Our relationship must have been the strongest between driver and co-driver ever!”

Solberg must now choose his new co-driver before the Rally Bulgaria in a month's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment